Wednesday, March 4, 2020

THE DRESS THAT DIDN'T WANT TO BE!


Hello There!Happy Wednesday


Have you ever been so excited about something then at the end get so deflated?well that was it with this dress,lol.Last year i wasn't sewing much,in fact i made less than 5 garments,dealing with taking care of my ailing mother then having to deal with the loss was just oh sew drowning (still is). Then my cousin sent me an invitation to her wedding!and that seemed to perk me up and got me in the mood to sew again.Hello wedding hello new dress!!! Hahaha!







I had fabric already in my fabric basket.The floral fabric is a pick i made when i went shopping for notions (the floral distracted me you see) so that's how i ended up buying it.Now because i had limited time i wanted a really easy design that would be a quick sew but also look nice.
I decided to use my already existing skirt pattern which i made for my plaid dress find here just eliminating sewing down the pleats and the pockets.

                   

For the bodice i wanted an off the shoulder that isn't so off the shoulder hahaha! yeh yeh that's right. Now because I wasn't confident with drafting an off the shoulder pattern i decided to do a toile, the 1st toile the thing went right off my shoulders (not impressed) then i made adjustments to the draft and did a 2nd toile and guess what......!it still was quite off my shoulders. At this point i am running out of patience and time lol. So i then decide to just fix as i go, i cut straight into my main bodice fabric (not a good idea).

                           

Now the way you attach lining to the bodice for an off the shoulder is the same way you do for an all in one facing see here (basically sandwiches everything together). After stitching the lining and bodice together i tried it on and it still did not fit how i wanted it to but i decided i wasn't in the mood to rip everything because everything is just sandwiched together and time is running out.So i went ahead and attached the skirt to the bodice.By now i am into the evening before the wedding.Then i fit the dress and i did not it feel it one bit!!!!!i felt like it was missing some va-va-voom!I was so so disappointment.All my efforts seemed to have gone to waste!My sister felt i was just being fussy,lol,but then my friend who i usually consult with got my va-va-voom point,she sent me loads of ideas to try to add on to the dress but now it was like 11pm and the wedding is in the morning and i knew then i wasn't going to wear it.She really tried to encourage me to push but i was upset, lol.I literally threw it straight into my fabric basket and forgot about it.Then i decided to wear an existing DIY to the wedding which worked out fine,but it wasn't new you see, lol
 
                            
Fast forward,in January i went to look for some notions then i saw this lace applique and i remembered the dress in the fabric basket,haha and i though hmmmn  this might lift that 'ugly' dress up!Now this applique requires some hand sewing and i do not like hand sewing at all,so it just got packed away.I only got to sew it on early Feb and only because i needed some therapy.I was missing my mother a lot lot lot on that day,even as i stitched tears were running down my cheeks,but before i knew it i was all done!And let me tell you!! i felt so good wearing it when photographing and i love this dress!

                 
This has to be my longest post ever!

Anyone got an event to invite me so that i can rock my dress??


Thank you for stopping by the blog today!


Blessings!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!