Wednesday, May 13, 2020

THERE IS BEAUTY IN SIMPLICITY....

Hello there people!I hope you are still keeping well, i believe most of you are back at work this week, i am still home 💃ðŸū lol.It’s important to still follow the health rules for our sakes and the rest of the country really.

Now onto this beauty!i must say i had this fabric the longest time!4 years!4 full years it’s been sitting in my stash! Right now i am guilt free 😅.I love to have clothes that run the century, you know something that you can still wear even if fashion changes a gazillion times.No matter how much fashion changes simple designs remain timeless!For me this dress fits that category so perfectly, I LOVE it sew much (i think i say that with all my makes) hahah but i really do.


I don't know what this fabric is called but it is a knit fabric which means it has some stretch to it. The print on it feels more like a velvet. I knew the minute i bought it that i wanted to make something SIMPLE because honestly the fabric speaks for itself. It’s more about the fabric than the design. I know i will be wearing it for many more years to come (if i still fit in it ðŸĪŠ).Initially i wanted to add a peter pan collar to it but with the help of my hubby and a dear friend i decided against it.



THE CONSTRUCTION

  • It’s a good old gathered dress 😀.I multiplied my waist measurement by 2 because i wanted the skirt to be full then used that to determine the width of the skirt part.
  • I used my knit block slopers.When you sew with knits check how stretchy they are, then from there you can decide how to draft your sloper.This knit fabric doesn’t have a lot of stretch to it so all i did to my woven block was to remove any amount of ease and eliminate all the darts
  • I lined the bodice part with a stretchy fabric as well i think it’s called trilobal?ðŸĪ” I prefer to use it as lining for knits and chiffons
  • Invisible zip at the center back
  • Make sure to use a ball point needle for knits on both your sewing machine and overlock machine
  • It has pockeeeets (this one is for my pocket ladies out there 😅)
One advantage with knit fabrics is that you can get away with not finishing the raw edges because they will not unravel.However i did overlock my dress because I don’t like the look of raw edges and also because the skirt part isn’t lined.

                                                                       


I love sharing my makes with you and hope you are inspired

Thank you sew much for stopping by the blog today!

Blessings!!ðŸĪ—

3 comments:

  1. Wow...lovely...awesome! I could come for lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sew much!i am working on doing one on one lessons,so you can be on the lookout for that :)

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful dress. I love it. Is it possible to make one for me?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!