Thursday, May 28, 2020

DIY notched collar coat

Hello there guys!I hope this blog post finds you well.It's week one for me back to work and i must say i found it rather quick.It feels like we jumped from Monday straight to Thursday haha.


Now onto the real business-the coat!!I have not sewn anything for the past 3 weeks.This is one of my makes within the first 4 weeks of lock down.It was my first attempt at a notched collar and i learnt sew many things constructing this.The very first coat which i made 2 years ago (i think) was a rather simple and straight forward design,no lining,no collars,no buttons and  side seam pockets.So i am really happy with how this turned out.There is obviously room for improvement.


This is Melton wool which i bought last year and i bought enough to make for myself and the hubby.I started making this coat last year but never got to finish it.Basically the lining and facings were sewn together,the coat front and back was done as well all that i was left with was sewing the collar, putting the lining and coat together,attaching sleeves and finally buttons and buttonholes.So it was really a quick project to do.I remember during the week that i finished it i was able to sew a dress and 4 fabric masks!


The 2 main new skills i learnt are how to do the notch collar and a welt pocket.I realized that it's very important to make accurate markings for these techniques,otherwise it's very easy to get a wonky looking sewn garment.


THE CONSTRUCTION
  • Modify your basic bodice blocks by adding more wearing ease allowance.The recommended standard ease allowance for a fitted coat is 5-6 inches but it totally depends on your preference.Just bear in mind that a coat is something you wear on top of other garments.So think about how you want to wear it in order to decide on how much ease to add.
  • I used a little less than 2meters for this
  • I added welt pockets on the sides and i love how they came out on first attempt.It wasn't easy working with all the bulk on my domestic machine,but i managed.
  • My button extension is 3/4 inches (the size of my buttons)
  • Coat is fully lined and i used the bagging method,i do not know any other method really, lol
  • I added sleeve header and completely forgot to attach my shoulder pads, lol but i can live with that
  • I interfaced all the facings,collar,the back of the coat (up to mid armhole). This is one thing i need to research on to find out  which interfacing is suitable on wool fabrics because the one i was using kept making bubbles on the actual fabric.


This is all i have for you this week.I hope you are inspired by what you see.As usual i would like to hear your thoughts.


Thank you for stopping by the blog today!
Blessings!!


2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!