Thursday, May 7, 2020

AND FINALLY WINTER.....

Hello there!!I do hope you are still keeping well.What a speedy week this has been!i am even having anxieties at the thought of going back to work 😂
Anyhu!lets get on to the issue of the day-the shirt 👗!!After making a shirt that i shared on the blog last week i figured why not make a shirt dress so that the process sets in my mind because practice makes perfect right plus i had the perfect fabric for a winter shirt dress.

                                                                           

                                              
Seasons are changing and sew are my sewing plans!Now sewing to suit the cooler months. For this dress i used a plaid cotton fabric that i bought last year.The style lines are very simple so the only place i had to match pattern is on the side seams,center front and pocket.Can you see how matched they are?!👌🏽I however didn’t have enough fabric to match the pocket so it’s only matched on the vertical not horizontal but i can live with that lol. Note that when  you sew with plaid or striped fabric a little more attention is needed  in placing your pattern pieces and cutting. You also  need a little extra fabric.If i made this dress in a solid fabric the amount i had would have been more than enough but because it’s a plaid i needed more. I shared a tip about this from a sewing book i use on my FB and IG in case you missed it.



THE CONSTRUCTION

  •  This was a pretty straight forward make.I took the shirt pattern i used for the shirt i shared last week and lengthened the back and front pattern  piece.Everything else remained the same.
  • I omitted sewing the darts
  • I added a chest pocket
  • Added a belt and belt loops both made from main fabric
  • Back yoke cut was on the bias to add a design feature
  • I didn’t have enough to make a collar stand and collar so i omitted the 2piece  collar and used what would have been the collar stand to be the collar (mandarin/Chinese collar )
I love this dress sew much i cannot wait for it to make rounds this winter.It sure is going to be a staple.

                                                                                         
                             
                        
                     
                    
                   


I love sharing my makes with you and hope you are inspired by what you see.

Thank you sew much for stopping by the blog today!

Continue to keep safe.

Blessings !!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I love this! Do you buy patterns or make them yourself, and how do you perfect arms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you:-).I draft my own patterns, it's taken a few years to get the sleeve right. What seem to be the problem with your sleeves? One thing make sure the length of the armhole on the sleeve is the same as the length of the armhole on your bodice front and back plus ease.I use the metric pattern drafting method for drafting my patterns. Please feel free to ask if all I have written doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O setswerere nnaka!love this..

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!