Wednesday, April 29, 2020

THE CLASSIC TAILORED SHIRT

Hello there!A blessed Wednesday to you all

I have been looking at all the things i managed to make this year and i am so proud of myself! This has really been a great sewing year.The first time really that i have sewn so much and consistently. My goal is to get better at my craft and enjoy the process.

Today we are looking at this shirt. It looks more like a solid pink on these photos but it is actually a pink and white striped fabric.



I do not wear shirts a lot so I have never really put much energy into sewing them.
This was my 2nd attempt after 5 years and i think it's not a bad attempt. Now that I was intentional about getting the sewing process right I think the only thing that will stop me from making more shirts is the process! makes me feel like i am better off just buying them, lol. 
I usually wear shirts as a 'layering' piece under sleeveless dresses. I don't like tucking in hence the mess you see above, lol but now for the sake of the blog I couldn't style it layered under a dress because then you would just see the sleeves and collar, lol


YOU WILL NEED :
  1. Matching thread
  2. Fabric (i used about 1.5m)
  3. Matching sewing machine needle
  4. Buttons (the number you need will depend in the spacing, i measured spacing on my store bought shirt and ended up using 11 buttons and 2 smaller ones for the placket
  5. Pattern pieces (2 fronts,2yokes,4cuffs,2sleeves,2plackets,2collar stand,2collars,2button bands)
  6. Interfacings for button band, collar stand, collar and cuffs

THE CONSTRUCTION
  • I used less than 2m of this shirting fabric
  • Burrito method for the yoke, if you don’t know what that is see here
  • I used flat felled seam the whole shirt.see here for a tutorial on how to make a flat fell seam, also you can look at the insides of your existing shirt to appreciate the finish.Sewing a flat felled seam is the bit that is time consuming but its worth it. Honestly you can choose to just use your overlocker if you prefer.
  • placket on sleeves
  • Usually when you sew you would sew the side seams together then set in the sleeves. However For shirts you need  to sew the sleeve on before the side seams. So in the end you will have one continuous seam running from the hem of the sleeve to the hem of the shirt. It's very important to pin fit before doing that because it will be such a tedious process to undo a flat felled seam in order to correct fit.
  • Sew the narrow hem for the shirt before attaching the buttonhole placket

I have one more shirt to sew on my list and I am dreading the process already, lol but practice makes perfect so I  am going to do it

I enjoy sharing my makes with you and hope you get some inspiration.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today!

Stay home & Stay safe

Blessings!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!