Thursday, April 23, 2020

HOW TO SEW IN-SEAM POCKETS






1.Cut your pocket according to your preferred size. I usually put my hand on a piece of paper and just draw around the shape I want. This also ensures that you make it big enough to fit your hand. Add seam allowance around the circumference of the pocket. I use 5/8 inch seam allowance.
















2.Cut 4 pieces of your pocket pattern

3.Depending on what you are adding pockets to ie dress or skirt. In my example here I am adding it to the skirt of a dress. Decide how low or high you want to place your pockets and mark on both side seams of the skirt.
                                             
4. With right sides of the skirt to the right side of the pocket stitch from the top of the pocket at 1/2 inch all the way to the bottom of the skirt, remember my seam allowance is 5/8 inch so sewing the pocket at 1/2 inch ensures that the pocket seam will be well hidden  on the outside. This will be clear when you see the end product.

                                                                                     
5.Now press the pocket out, away from the skirt, at this point the right side is facing you.  Stay stitch 1/8 inch away from the stitch you just made above. This will prevent the pocket from peeping out.

                                                     

6.Sew all pocket pieces to all sides

                          
7.Now stitch the side seams of the skirt going  around the circumference of  your pocket pieces at 5/8 inch

                                        

8.Press your seams open and you all done! I decided to overlock my pockets together with my skirt, if you are working with a heavy fabric you will need to iron your side seams open and clip to but not through the stitch of the seam allowance just below the pocket. This will help your pocket to lie flat.

                                                                                                         

Happy pocket making and sewing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!