Tuesday, April 21, 2020

DIY FRONT TWIST DRESS


Hello there and a happy Tuesday. I believe by now you are getting used to the current  normal. Everyday is everyday, lol.The Lord will see us through this time, stay your mind on Him!

I want to start by saying I loooove this dress! It sewed oh so nicely, the fabric feels great on my skin and I love the pop of colour. It's a win



I bought this fabric last year and  it's called bon bon. It is a knit fabric that has a 2 way stretch. Honestly this was the first time ever sewing with an unstable knit without screaming in my head, lol it was surprisingly sew easy to work with.Now let me give you the background of this fabric,my husband and I visited our friends in Capetown last year and as usual I never want to visit any place without going to the fabric stores, so one of the days we went to the fabric stores and my friend picked this commercial pattern (V1339) for me suggesting it will look great on me. I was not confident about it as I had not used a commercial pattern before and I wasn't sure I was going to be comfortable wearing it either looking at my body figure but I bought it anyway (adult pressure, lol). After buying the pattern we started the search for the perfect fabric to go with it.It was an interesting search,we went from store to store and the hubs did not seem to have the energy for it all lol then we bumped into what seemed like the perfect fabric but then the price, yho!it was on the high side for my liking so I was like naah let's look for a second choice.Fast forward we ended up buying this red fabric you see here and the pattern required 4 meters!.I had a date night function in mind so it was fitting to buy red plus I love red, hahah

Now the time came for me to work with this fabric and I pulled the pattern out. I was still not so confident about it. So i decided to cut the bodice first and tried to sew it according to the pattern instructions, now the instructions are written in English but as I read it sounded like Greek, lol and my sewing was not coming out as theirs! I started doubting myself and the whole process and worried that i was going to waste my fabric and wondered if I should really continue.I honestly think it's a matter of the process being outside of my comfort zone than anything so my mind was just locked. So i decided I was not going to continue with that pattern. I went back to the drawing board and drafted my own pattern a completely different design and I am glad I made that decision. I will try the commercial pattern on a cheaper fabric first sometime in future (not so enthusiastic about the idea though, lol)

The drafting of this pattern was a bit time consuming because there was a lot of cutting and spreading. This is one of the methods you can use to add fullness to a pattern. It was fun nonetheless maybe because I enjoy pattern drafting especially if the design requires more thinking than usual. Sewing it together was a breeze! It's always a win when there are no fastenings to sew.The dress is fully lined from the main fabric. Interest is only in the front the back is just a simple design with no waist seam. I feel this design is really flattering and can work for all body shapes. I want to make another one in a velvet fabric!
   
                                                                       
                                                           


Thank you for stopping by the blog today! as usual I will love to hear your thoughts
Stay home and keep safe.
Blessings!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!