Wednesday, April 15, 2020

DIY JACKET & CAMISOLE

Hello There!
Happy Wednesday, i cannot believe we are on the mid week mark already, the days seem to be flying by.I don’t know about you but i am grateful for the time i have at home.Time to sit and reflect, set goals and just to unwind!

Red for danger! is what my sister said when she saw this little jacket haha,but I love red you see and you know what I realized that I do not have a lot of red stuff in my wardrobe hmmn strange!




This is a suiting fabric, i believe I bought it during my first year of sewing, the intention was to practice sewing on it at the time so I had only bought 1 meter of it .Now you can imagine that there is limitation to what you can do with one meter of fabric especially that it is not so wide. So all these years it's been sitting in my stash and I didn't really know what to do with it. Initially I thought maybe I should  just make a pencil skirt but I wasn't really keen on owning a red pencil skirt, lol.  Then this year I decided I was going to have a go at making a jacket, i knew right away that it was going to be a collarless jacket because of the amount of fabric available. After I finished drafting my pattern and placed it on top of the fabric it was barely enough, i had to really place the patterns close together without being off grain.


THE CONSTRUCTION

  • I took my basic slopers  and made adjustments for  wearing ease and shoulder pads. This is something that you wear on top of another garment so you have to make sure that there is enough space to breathe and move.
  • I turned all darts on the slopers into princess seams
  • To get the nice structure that you see on the shoulders I made sleeve heads. They help to prevent the edge of the shoulder and sleeve joint from collapsing. I also added 1/4 inch thick shoulder pads. I reaaly really love the effect.
  • There is a facing and the jacket is fully lined
  • Added a hook and eye fastening down the front

In hindsight I wish I had not only interfaced the facings but  all jacket pieces because the fabric is light and could have used some support, but that's lesson learnt for future projects. All in all I looove this little jacket!



 I paired it with a camisole that I made from leftover fabric from my front tie top here that I recently shared on the blog.I really don't know why I haven't been making these all this time!!like who doesn't need a cami, lol I plan on making a lot more of these, i have a few hacks I have in mind and most of my remnant fabrics are going to be turned into camis...yeeeep! hahah. This is a really easy and quick to sew, beginner friendly that anyone can try out. I used french seams and then a narrow hem.





As usual I would love to hear your thoughts.....

Thank you for stopping by the blog today!

Blessings!!










2 comments:

  1. Nna ke bona bontle le matsetseleko. Keep up Gobnut

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!