Wednesday, February 26, 2020

DIY DENIM PAPER BAG WAIST SKIRT

Hello There!

Wishing you a blessed Wednesday.I finally made the PAPER BAG WAIST skirt,this style is called paper bag because the design of the waist resembles a paper bag held firmly with one hand.Now in 2018 this style was making rounds,on the internet,in stores,from skirts, shorts and pants and i wanted to try make one so badly,you can imagine how late i am to the party lol but that's okay.














             



I bought a very light weight denim which i thought would be just perfect for it,but as usual life happened and the fabric was just sitting there in my stash gathering dust (sigh). My initial inspiration was from a picture on pinterest (pic below) then i saw this and i loved the whole bib idea so i decided to add a bib to it.
Inspiration pic from pinterest
i don't know what mr photographer was saying here to have me laughing like that,but in any case i love a good laugh!
 

This is the view that i really love,if only the front made me feel the same way (sigh)


                                              

                                              

After sewing the bib i was really so undecided about it,so i just attached it temporarily using sewing pins and took pics,sent them to a friend of mine to ask of her opinion,  and she liked the skirt without the bib,then i asked another friend and she said they both work,my husband likes it so much with the bib,lol (not helpful right,ha!) so i decided to make the bib detachable because i was 'ms unsure'. Now that the whole thing is complete,i like the skirt alone more,with the bib i like the look at the back more, the front i am not so crazy about.I foresee a situation where the skirt loses colour and the bib remains new, lol

THE CONSTRUCTION

Oh my! i don't know how many times i had to re-draft my pattern because it just wasn't working!most probably because i was being my usual---over-thinking!lol so eventually i drafted an a-line skirt,then cut and spread only to the hip level,then made adjustments for the pleats and side hip pockets.

The bib at the back is attached using buttons and then for the front i used snaps because i wasn't getting the hang of an automatic buttonhole on my new machine and i also didn't have matching buttons at hand and wasn't about to go to the fabric store for buttons. Unfortunately i caught too much fabric while sewing one of the snaps and it kind shows on the front of the skirt which i only noticed after taking the photos (will re-do). I am also thinking to sew a belt from the fabric.Overall it was a lovely fabric to work with and very summer friendly.



Let me hear your thoughts,do you like the skirt with or without the bib?



Thank you for stopping by the blog today!

Blessings!





4 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts!